A 2½-story building that housed 10 apartments, a Chinese restaurant, and a smoke shop in Salem, N.H., collapsed Wednesday morning after a roaring three-alarm fire raced through the structure, officials said.
The fire was first reported at the China Star restaurant at 80 Main St. at 5:39 a.m., said Salem Fire Battalion Chief Randall Young. The 40-seat restaurant had been in town since at least 1987, said Ross Moldoff, the town’s planning director.
The apartments — six one-bedroom, two two-bedroom, and two studio homes — and Venue Vapors, a local vape shop, were also completely destroyed in the fire, Moldoff said.
“The structure collapsed, and they’re still working on it,” Young said just before 8 a.m.
Two firefighters were transported to Holy Family Hospital for precautionary reasons, but they’re going to be fine, he said. Young didn’t know how many apartment residents were displaced, but no other injuries were reported.
The wood-frame structure was built in 1920, and totaled 9,531 square feet, according to town property assessing records.
A portion of Main Street between Pleasant Street and Route 28 is temporarily closed until firefighters clear the scene, officials said.
No further information about the cause of the blaze was immediately available.
Elise Takahama can be reached at email@example.com. Follow her on Twitter @elisetakahama.